linehomedotaboutdotmy galleryline

Sunday, April 19, 2020

You Are Sensitive And That is Okay - Art Journal Page




I was feeling restless and wanted to do something but I didn't know what I felt like doing.  And I felt this way even after browsing Pinterest and Youtube for inspiration.  Finally I saw a video with this background technique (applying paint with a gel press) and decided to give it a try........this page actually came together so fast I didn't even take many progress pictures!

For the background I decided to apply paint to a 6 x 6 gel press and water it down before pressing it randomly onto the pages.  I used Dina Wakely paints Olive, Peacock and Fuchsia (I did not gesso the pages so you really see the texture of the paper).  It was quite bold so I toned it down a bit by rolling a brayer with some white paint.

I have been itching to use some of Dina Wakely's tissue paper girls and decided on this one along with a sentiment that really resonated with me that day.  I adhered the tissue paper with matte medium under and over the image.


I almost left it alone just with the images adhered, but decided it needed more.  I added some black washi tape, some colour to her eyes and cheeks and some paint splatter with the fuchsia.  Dina calls it 'the pox' :)  And then I thought I was done, lol.  Actually I was afraid if I did anything else I might ruin it!!


But as much as I loved the pop of black, the more I looked at it, it seemed too harsh against the background and just felt undone.  So I left it for a few days.  I finally decided to add Umber paint (diluted with white paint) through a stencil, some coloured washi tape and then a little more wash of white over everything.  Some Frayed Burlap and Black Soot Distress Ink on the edges for a border, white gel pen strokes over the face and the washi tape and I was done - for sure done!!  Love it!!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...